Monday, August 29, 2011

The reasons all have run away, but the feeling never did.

I've been converted. I'm just a former firework fanatic, whose eyes have been opened.

This weekend was very, very good for me. It wasn't perfect, but there was a perfect moment, and life doesn't give us a lot of those - so when it does you have to hold it and think about it all the time so you never forget it. So that when things get really really messy and broken you can remember that moment and know that sometimes things are perfect.


My weekend was riddled with generic teenage ventures; A football game, a scary movie, Slurpees, a party, a park, a late-night Del Taco run, a date, etc...
BUT amidst those things, there was placed, a perfect moment: After my friends dropped me off from Del Taco sometime around midnight [good song] I walked up the stairs to my front door and found my sister sitting on the porch, all alone, watching the storm.


No words needed to be exchanged. I smiled at her, and she stared at me [Julia isn't one for emotion, smiling isn't a necessary function for her - like it is for me - without being able to grin/giggle every 3 to 7 seconds, my head would explode.] I mumbled: "Ok... give me a second" under my breath and ran into the house to throw on my favorite gray sweater, it's my favorite because it has those sleeves that are just long enough so that they cover most of your hands and just barely leave your fingertips peeking out of the top so that the rest of you is swaddled in a soft, gray, haze of sweater and sleeve.
I ran back to the porch and let the screen door bounce closed behind me. I sat down on the oddly comforting concrete, next to my sister, and we watched the lighting shock the sky over and over, while we listened to the song "Lua" by Bright Eyes.

It was perfect. Lightning is one of my new favorite things. It's sublime. Not like fireworks. Fireworks are loud and they want to be seen and noticed. They command attention and occupy the sky for awhile. Lightning is different. Lightning is something special. You have to wait for it \ and catch it \ and savour it \ like moments. Just like those perfect moments.

2 comments:

  1. I agree whole-heartedly with you about lightning. It's something magical. I love you, Ellie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a running motif we see in humankind. If a person makes it, it may be nice and big and most likely noticeable. But if nature produces it, it's always more beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete